University of California, Irvine

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

Federal School Code 001314

Click here for the UC Irvine Financial Aid and Scholarships Home PageClick here for the UC Irvine Home Page

FAFSA : Dream Application : Admissions : Housing : Registrar : Scholarships : Student Billing : Important Links
Aldrich Park during Celebrate UCIAldrich Park during Celebrate UCIFaculty
Schedule a financial aid help sessionBrilliant Future.  The Campaign for UCI.  Financial Aid Scholarships.  Give to UCI

Policies and Conditions

The following are the policies and conditions that pertain to financial aid recipients and applicants.  By accepting your financial aid you are also agreeing to the conditions and requirements for that aid.

  • Appeals
  • If you or your custodial parent(s) have been adversely affected by extraordinary circumstances that have reduced your ability to pay for college expenses and/or if your basic financial aid budget is not reflective of your educational expenses, the UCI Financial Aid Office may review those circumstances in order to consider changes to your available financial aid.

    If you are a prospective student who has been admitted to more than one UC campus or other college, you should submit appeal information to each respective campus.

    For details on the financial aid appeals process visit

    (Reviewed 2/13/2012 - CS)

  • Enrollment Requirements
    • In order to be eligible for payment of all financial aid awards you must be enrolled in at least six (6) units each quarter.  Our office will verify the number of units you are enrolled in at the conclusion of the sixth week of each quarter.  We will also verify your enrollment at the end of the quarter.
    • Some financial aid programs (Federal Pell, Federal Teach and Cal Grant) require you be enrolled in at least twelve (12) units in order to receive the full award amount. If you enroll in fewer than twelve (12) units, your grant will be prorated based on your enrollment and aid program requirements.
    Official Part-Time Enrollment

    • If you have been granted official part-time status, the Registrar's Office will notify the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of this. Your fees and your aid budget will then be revised to reflect part-time status for the term and any remaining portion of the academic year unless you have notified the financial aid office of your intent to enroll full-time for subsequent terms.
    • If you have already received financial aid funds for a term, you should not spend those funds until you confirm that your aid has already been revised for that term. You will know that your budget has been revised once you view an award revision reason on My Aid stating:
      • This revised award reflects your official part-time status for the: fall term / winter term / spring term / academic year.

    (Reviewed 7/28/2015 - BS)

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • In order to be eligible to receive financial aid, you must be making satisfactory academic progress.

    Effective fall 2011:

    Should you have questions regarding this policy, you may contact our office.

  • Student Withdrawal Policy
  • Students who withdraw from UCI prior to completing 60% of the term for which they received federal financial aid will be subject to both the UC Fee Refund Policy and the Federal Return of Title IV Funds policy. Title IV funds are federal funds awarded to a student to meet educational expenses. Title IV funds include:
    • Federal Pell Grant,
    • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG),
    • Federal Perkins Loan,
    • Federal Direct Student Loan,
    • Federal Direct PLUS Loan and
    • Federal Teach Grants.
    Students who cancel their registration (or have their registration cancelled by the University) prior to the first day of classes will be billed for all financial aid disbursed on their behalf.


    Students who withdraw may have some of their fees refunded under the UC Fee Refund policy. Any refund due a student will first go toward any federal financial aid amounts paid on behalf of the student (or to the student), regardless of what source was used to pay fees. The UC Fee Refund Policy is detailed in the General Catalogue.


    Federal law requires federal aid recipients to "earn" the aid they receive. Students who withdraw prior to completing 60% of the term for which they received federal student aid may be required to return some of the aid they were awarded.

    The return of Title IV financial aid is based upon the amount of federal financial aid received, the University charges incurred AND the student's date of withdrawal. University charges include fees, out-of-state tuition, and on-campus housing charges. Students who withdraw prior to completing 60% of the term will "earn" a percentage of the financial aid paid to them (or used to pay their fees) for each day of the term they attended.

    Students who withdraw after completing 60% of the term will have earned all financial aid received.

    Withdrawal Process: Students withdrawing from the University must contact the Registrar's Office. Information regarding the withdrawal process is available from the Registrar's website. The official withdrawal date that the University will use for Title IV return of aid is the date the student initiates the withdrawal process, not the date the withdrawal paperwork was completed. This date generally will be the same date used to calculate the UC Fee Refund.

    The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will be notified of a student's withdrawal from the University by the Registrar's Office. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will calculate the amount of federal financial assistance the student earned and will return to the federal government the University's portion of the unearned amount. The student will be billed for the unearned portion of any federal Title IV financial aid received. The UC Fee Refund amount will be applied first to the University's portion.

    Return of Federal Title IV Funds:The federal formula requires a return of financial aid if the student received financial assistance in the form of a Federal Pell or Supplemental Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Student Loan or PLUS loan and withdrew prior to completing 60% of the term.



    Student withdraws Spring 2011 term on Wednesday of Week 5:

    (Calendar Days in Term = 80)

    Days Attended
    Earned Aid
    29/80 = 36.3%
    Days Remaining in Term
    Unearned Aid to be Returned
    51/80 = 63.7%

    The University will return to the federal government any funds that were credited from the UC Fee Refund first. If the amount returned by the University is not enough to repay the entire unearned amount, the University will bill the student for portions of amounts received for non-institutional charges (such as books, supplies and off-campus living expenses).

    Amounts that are returned to the federal government, either from the UC Fee Refund or on behalf of the student, will first be applied to the student's federal loans. If the student owes any federal loan funds after the University has paid back its share, she will be permitted to repay the loans based on the original terms of the loans -- usually a ten-year repayment term after a grace period and deferment period if the student returns to school. In addition, the student may be billed for any unearned Federal grants received. The student will be expected to pay 50% of the unearned portion (either immediately or make satisfactory arrangements to repay that amount).

    For students who do not officially withdraw from the University, the University will base its return of funds calculation on information received from instructors regarding course attendance.

    If at least one instructor has noted that the student attended past the 60% point of the term, then no aid will be returned.

    If all instructors note that the student never began attendance in any courses, then all aid will be returned for the term. If there is an indication of partial attendance for the term with no specific last day of attendance noted for any class, the University will make the Return of Title IV funds calculation using the mid-point of the term.Special note for students living in campus housing: Any student who withdraws prior to completing 60% of the term will be billed for a portion of the federal financial aid the student received to cover their UCI housing costs. The amount billed will depend on the point in the term the student withdrew. Students should contact the UCI Housing Office to determine if they will receive a refund from the Housing Office that may be used to pay the amount the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships bills them.

    A Final Note about Withdrawing: Any student contemplating withdrawing from the University should contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to speak with a financial aid counselor concerning the financial ramifications of withdrawing.

    Students who are receiving a Cal Grant should also contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to discuss the ramifications of withdrawing on their Cal Grant status. Check with your financial aid counselor on how you may be able to re-establish a term of eligibility for your Cal Grant.

    (Reviewed 4/13/2020 - BS)

  • Loan Counseling (Entrance and Exit Counseling)
  • All student loan borrowers must complete entrance and exit loan counseling.

    If you are a new borrower you must complete entrance counseling prior to receiving your loan.

    When you graduate or leave school you must complete exit loan counseling.

    Loan Entrance Counseling

    First-time Borrowers/Loan Entrance Counseling: Each student receiving a loan for the first time at UCI must complete Loan Entrance Counseling. This requirement applies to students who have previously borrowed at another institution. Loan funds cannot be released until this requirement has been met.


    • "Log in" to by clicking the "Log In" button on the home page (note: If you do not have a FSA ID, you will need to create one before logging in):

    • Enter your FSA ID Username or Email address and FSA ID Password and then click on the "Log In" button:

    • Select the "Complete Counseling" link in the middle of the page:

    • Select Entrance Counseling by clicking the "Start Entrance Counseling" button.

    • Under "School Information", select "California" as the "School State" and "University of California, Irvine" as the "School Name".
    • Follow the instructions to complete the counseling.

    Please note: It will take at least two business days before we will receive confirmation that you've completed the entrance counseling.

    Loan Exit Counseling

    Federal regulations and UCI policy requires that students who take out a student loan must complete exit counseling before they leave school (graduate) or drop below half-time (6 units). This requirement is in place so that you will receive essential information regarding your rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. You will receive information about the types of loans you received, when and where to make your payments, what to do if you cannot make your payments, and what can happen if you do not make your payments.

    If you fail to complete exit counseling a hold will be placed on your records. You will not be able to re-enroll in classes, or obtain other university services and documents including, but not limited to your transcripts or diploma.

    Exit counseling may be completed on line. To complete your counseling, locate the type of loan(s) you borrowed and follow the link indicated.


    • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
    • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
    • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

    If you had any of these loans, you can complete exit counseling on line by visiting


    • "Log in" to by clicking the "Log In" button on the home page (note: If you do not have a FSA ID, you will need to create one before logging in):

    • Enter your FSA ID Username or Email address and FSA ID Password and then click on the "Log In" button:

    • Select the "Complete Counseling" link in the middle of the page:

    • Select Exit Counseling by clicking the "Start Exit Counseling" button.

    • Under "School Information", select "California" as the "School State" and "University of California, Irvine" as the "School Name".
    • Follow the instructions to complete the counseling.

    If you have questions you should contact our office at (949) 824-8262.

    School of Business students should call (949) 824-5728.

    School of Law students should call (949) 824-8080.

    School of Medicine students should call (949) 824-6476.

    If you had any of these loans you can complete exit counseling on line by visiting UCI Loan Services.

    • Perkins Loan
    • University Loan
    • DREAM Loan
    • California Medical Education and Residency Foundation Loan (CMERF)
    • Edna Dessery Loan
    • Carl H. Fee Loan
    • Hawk Loan
    • Loan for Disadvantaged Students
    • Medical Access Loan
    • Primary Care Loan
    • Josephine Ohler Reed Loan
    • Silver Light Loan

    If you have questions you should contact UCI Loan Services at (949) 824-7310 or

    (Last reviewed 4/08/2016 - BS)

  • Disclosures
  • Privacy Statement The campus Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships is responsible for maintaining the information you provide on your financial aid application and accompanying documents. The information will be provided to the state and federal governments if required by law. You have the right, according to the law, to access your information.

    The State of California Information Practices Act of 1977 requires the University to provide this information to applicants for financial aid who are asked to supply information about themselves. Maintenance of the information is authorized by University policy.

    Nondiscrimination Policy Statement Regarding Student-Related Matters. The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and university policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy*, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer related or genetic characteristics), ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, or service in the uniformed services. The university also prohibits sexual harassment, including sexual violence. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, and treatment in university programs and activities.

    Inquiries regarding the University's student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to:

      Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (OEOD)
    103 Multipurpose Science and Technology Building
    University of California, Irvine, CA 92697-1130
    Phone (949) 824-5594

    *Pregnancy includes pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth.

    Accreditation Statement UCI is a member of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The campus is fully accredited by the Senior Commission of WASC. This accreditation requires periodic review in accord with WASC policies and standards. Further information is available from WASC, 985 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 100, Alameda, CA 94501; telephone (510) 748-9001; In addition, the undergraduate degree program of the Department of Chemistry is accredited by the American Chemical Society; the credential programs of the Department of Education are approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC); the undergraduate majors in Aerospace, Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Computer, Computer Science, Electrical, Environmental, Materials Science, and Mechanical Engineering offered by the Departments of Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering and Materials Science, Civil and Environmental, Electrical and Computer, and Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology; the M.S. program in Genetic Counseling is accredited by the American Board of Genetic Counseling; the Graduate School of Management School of Business is accredited by AACSB International The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business; the M.D. program of the UCI College of Medicine is accredited by the Liaison Committee of the Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Medical Association; and the Master of Urban and Regional Planning program is accredited by the National Planning Accreditation Board; the Program in Nursing Science is accredited by the California Board of Registered Nursing and the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education; the Juris Doctorate program is provisionally accredited by the American Bar Association.

    The original Accreditation Statement is maintained in the Office of Academic Affairs. If you wish to review the complete Accreditation Statement, you should contact the Office of Academic Affairs, (949) 824-2377.

    (Reviewed 2/22/2012 - CS)

  • Rights And Responsibilities
  • Rights and Responsibilities as a Financial Aid Recipient

    Your Rights
    You have the right to know:
    • What financial assistance is available at UCI.
    • The deadlines for submitting applications for each of the financial aid programs available.
    • The cost of attending UCI and UCI's refund policy.
    • The criteria used by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to select financial aid recipients.
    • How your financial aid eligibility was determined.
    • What resources are considered in the calculation of your financial aid eligibility.
    • How much of your financial need is unmet, as determined by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.
    • The terms and conditions of the various financial aid programs, including the criteria for your continued eligibility in the programs.
    • The method by which disbursements will be made to you and the frequency of those disbursements.
    • The portion of the financial aid you receive that must be repaid, and what portion is grant and therefore not repayable.  If the aid is a loan, you have the right to know what the interest rate is, the total amount to be repaid, the procedure for repayment and when the repayment is to begin. You have the right to a sample loan repayment schedule for loans.
    • How UCI determines whether you are making satisfactory academic progress for financial aid and what happens if you are not.
    Your Responsibilities
    You are required to:
    • Report to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships any change in the following:
      • Housing changes
      • Enrollment status
      • California residency status
      • Additional earnings, funds or support, including any graduate assistance.
    • Be enrolled at least half-time. Half-time is defined as six (6) units per term.
    • To receive the loan(s) you were offered, you must accept the loan, submit all required loan paperwork, and complete the loan counseling. These all must be completed while you are still enrolled at least half-time for the same academic year the loan was offered to you.
    • For Federal Direct Student Loans, notify the loan servicer of address changes and other information as specified in the loan terms.
    • Complete mandatory loan exit counseling upon ceasing to be enrolled in at least 6.0 or more units if you have borrowed from the Federal Direct Stafford, Graduate PLUS and/or Federal Perkins Loan programs.
    • Review the loan terms and process any documents regarding repayment prior to graduation.
    • Assume responsibility for repayment of all loans accepted.
    • Repay any funds you receive which cannot be reasonably attributed to meeting your educational expenses (overpayments).
    • Maintain satisfactory academic progress in the course of study you are pursuing as prescribed by the UCI policy on Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid, published in the UCI General Catalogue and on the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships website.
    • Notify the UCI Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships should you be convicted of a drug offense while receiving Title-IV funds.
    • Notify the UCI Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships if you currently are or if you become incarcerated in a federal, state or local penitentiary, prison, jail, reformatory, work farm or similar correctional institution.
    • Notify the UCI Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships once you have met all degree requirements in your declared major(s), regardless of your intent to pursue a minor, retake courses to improve your GPA, or for any other reason.

    (Revised 12/19/2013 - BS)


Hours: 10am-5pm Monday to Friday
102 Aldrich Hall, Irvine, CA 92697-2825
Tel: (949) 824-8262
Fax: (949) 824-4876 or (949) 824-6725

© 2020 The Regents of the University of California

About UCI
The State of California requires that you be told the following:
Federal student loans are available to most students regardless of income and provide a range of repayment options including income-based repayment plans and loan forgiveness benefits, which other education loans are not required to provide.