Summer Session 2017 (Entering Freshmen)
The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships has limited funding available for students attending Summer Session.
For undergraduates, funding is limited to:
- William D. Ford Direct Loans (requires enrollment and completion of at least six units)
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan (requires enrollment and completion of at least six units)
- Federal Pell Grant (requires enrollment and completion of at least twelve units for the full amount and six units for a prorated amount)
- UCI Grant (requires enrollment and completion of at least eight units)
How to Apply:
You may begin applying for summer aid after you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR).
Important Notice: The on-line financial aid application will be available sometime in late-March 2017.
To complete your Summer Financial Aid application, you must complete three steps:
- Submit a Summer Session Financial Aid Application on-line:
- Log in to "My Aid".
- Select the "2016-17" Academic Year.
- Select "My Summer Aid Application".
- Follow the instructions to complete the application and authorize us to send your aid estimate to Summer Session.
- After one (1) business day, you will be able to enroll in classes at Summer Session.
- After one (1) business day:
- Return to "My Summer Aid Application" and follow the instructions to finalize your aid.
- Go to "My Aid Award" and accept your financial aid award(s).
To receive financial aid during Summer Session you must meet all of the following requirements:
- Be admitted to UCI for Fall 2017.
- Complete a 2016-17 FAFSA by June 30, 2017. You can complete it on line at www.fafsa.gov.
- Complete a Summer Session Financial Aid Application by following the instructions in the "How to Apply" section.
- Enroll in a minimum of six (6) units* during one session or a combination of Summer I, II or 10-week session. *Unit requirements may vary depending on the requirements of the aid program.
If your admission to UCI is rescinded, you will not be eligible to keep any of the financial aid awarded and will be required to repay all funds, including all fees paid to summer session.
Types of Aid:
UCI Summer Grant:
UCI Grant funds are available for needy students who completed the 2017-18 FAFSA by the March 2 deadline and meet other eligibility requirements.
To maintain eligibility for the UCI Summer Grant, you must enroll in and complete eight (8.0) units during the summer.
Important Notice: At this time, summer grant awards are tentative based on budgetary constraints. We will review our available funds and confirm grant awards during the third week of May.
William D. Ford Direct Loan Program:
Students are eligible to borrow Federal Direct Loans based on their student level, program of study (undergraduate, graduate, etc), dependency status and remaining eligibility.
Independent students who have borrowed their full Federal Direct Loan eligibility during the academic year will only have alternative (private) loans available for summer funding.
Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan:
The parent PLUS loan is available to parents of dependent students. Loans can be certified up to the cost of Summer Session, minus any other financial aid a student may be receiving for summer. PLUS loans are based on credit approval.
Pell funds are available for Summer Session if students have remaining eligibility and satisfy the other eligibility requirements.
|June 16, 2017||Deadline to be considered for UCI Grant. Your completed Summer Financial Aid Application must be submitted by this date.|
|June 22, 2017||Financial aid award(s) must be accepted in order to pay fees|
|June 30, 2017||Deadline to complete FAFSA for 2016-17|
|July 24, 2017||Last day to apply for summer financial aid for Summer Session I|
|August 24, 2017||Last day to apply for summer financial aid for 10-week Session|
|September 1, 2017||Census date for determining units for Pell, Cal and TEACH grants for the Summer Term|
|September 4, 2017||Last day to apply for summer financial aid for Summer Session II|
Changes to Enrollment:
Any changes in enrollment, including dropping units or changing sessions may result in you being billed for funds received. If you withdraw from all Summer Session classes you will be billed for the financial aid you received. You will still be responsible for paying the $175 non-refundable campus fee and all other applicable non-refundable fees. Enrollment in additional classes or sessions will not increase your financial aid eligibility. Check with your financial aid counselor to find out how your enrollment change will affect your summer aid.
Late applications for summer financial aid will be accepted until until July 24 for SSI, August 24 for 10-week session and September 4 for SSII.
Payment of Fees:
Financial aid must be accepted no later than June 22nd in order to pay fees. Also, you must:
- Accept your financial aid funds.
- Enroll in Summer Session classes.
- Enroll in at least six (6) units*.
* Unit requirements may vary depending on the requirements of the aid program.
Financial aid remainders for summer will be disbursed in the same method as the academic year: either mail or direct deposit. Disbursement information can be changed at https://zotaccount.uci.edu. The following are the dates financial aid will be disbursed for on-time applicants:
|Session I||6/26/2017 *|
|Session II only||8/7/2017 *|
* If you are enrolling in both Summer Session I and II you will receive two disbursements, one at the beginning of each session.
Estimated Costs for Summer Session:
The following are estimated costs for attending Summer Session, not including the cost of your enrollment and course fees:
|Summer Session I & II or 10 week||Commuter||On-Campus||Off-Campus|
| || || || |
|Books and Supplies||$591||$591||$591|
|Room and Board||$1,618||$4,554||$3,268|
|Subtotal (not including fees)||$3,460||$6,041||$5,095|
|Summer Session I or II||Commuter||On-Campus||Off-Campus|
| || || || |
|Books and Supplies||$296||$296||$296|
|Room and Board||$809||$2,277||$1,634|
|Subtotal (not including fees)||$1,731||$3,022||$2,549|
Summer Session At Another UC Campus (Cross-Campus Summer):
If you are enrolling in a summer session or a summer travel study program offered by a UC campus other than UCI, you must apply for financial aid at UCI, your home campus.
Download and read the Summer UC Cross Campus overview.
- Download and print the Summer Session Financial Aid Application.
- Complete the application including the "Cross-campus Summer Session" section.
- Submit the signed and completed application to the UCI Office of Finanicial Aid and Scholarships. You must attach information about the specific program including the costs (fees) and dates of enrollment.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive an e-mail from our office asking you to accept your financial aid funds for 2017 Summer Session.
(Reviewed 2/10/2017 - BS)